Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You can be a Christian and not go to Church?!

Chances are, you have talked with someone who has said that they are a Christian but not in a church... or that they have their “own” church (by themselves).  A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation where it was mentioned that the “golf course” used to be this person’s “church.”  What does that even mean?  
I do know that prayers and petitions are offered occasionally while playing golf and, yes, Jesus is often mentioned in between shots by some... but “church?”
 
You know what they meant.  Golf was simply what they did on Sunday morning instead of attending a local church.  But this whole topic gets close to the question of definition: what does the word “church” really mean?  Here’s another question: is it possible to experience “church” simply by watching someone preach on the internet (like the messages we post at www.rdf.org and in this blog during our FTF series)?

Most of us know intuitively, regardless of how we use the term, a church really isn’t a building or a location and it’s more than listening to a sermon.  It is “the people” (the Greek meaning of the word is “the called out ones”).  In that sense, proximity doesn’t determine identity.  It’s not so much a matter of “can I be a Christian and not go to church?”  The reality is: if you are a Christian, you ARE part of the church.  Period.  But if that’s true – if I’m already “in” – why “go” at all?  Why bother, especially if I’m too tired to get up or people are coming over or I might see someone there that I’m really not sure I want to see or there is a big game on TV (I realize I’m close to meddling now!)?  Why not just sit back and watch the sermons on our church website every week?  After all, we put the messages up there!

I don’t know if this will surprise you or not, and I really don’t want to burst any bubbles, but there are times when I have not been excited about “going to church” on a weekend... times when I would have preferred to be someplace else... probably for many of the same reasons that you aren’t always excited about it.  :-) There are times when I would rather not get up early to attend my men’s group or when I don’t feel like going to my small group.  However, inevitably when I do go, I’m always glad afterwards that I did.  Even if I’m feeling too tired or discouraged or drained, I will usually leave feeling lifted up and thankful.  You might be thinking, “Duh... that’s what’s supposed to happen.”  I know that, too, but for some reason it is always a pleasant and good surprise when it does.

If you are truly “in Christ” you are a part of Christ’s body, you belong to His family, so you need to live like it!

The memory verse for this week is both convicting and challenging to me: “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.”  I mean, I’m not intentionally mean to other people, I try to think of others in most of the things I’m doing, but am I really “devoted” to other believers?  How can I (or you) live that way unless there is regular contact, fellowship, and connection with others in the body of Christ?  I know that as a pastor I can’t do it alone.  Relationships that don’t go beyond bumping into each other on the church patio or even deeper than watching each others’ Facebook postings (and an occasional “poke”), are probably not truly characteristic of the Biblical mandate.  It’s sobering... but it’s also encouraging – when I think about the possibilities of what God can do in His church (in us) when we just take steps to meet together regularly and reach out in love to others!  I’ve seen it happen... great spiritual growth, deep satisfaction and joy, significant needs met – when people take God seriously and take the step to connect well and often with other believers.

Here at Rose Drive Friends Church, we have MANY opportunities to find connections and real friends... groups for children, students, and lots of different adult group meeting during the week (several of which are starting now during this First Things First series).  These are places to grow, to serve, to learn, to love and to be loved.  If you’d like to find out more, check out the panel to the RIGHT or visit our church website related to small groups.

This week, and on into the future, let’s not just go to church, let’s truly BE the church!

1 comment:

  1. Jim I thank you for directing us to examine our Christian lives. I appreciate that you don't take the easy way, instead you keep us focused on Gods way. You know I struggle with some of the dramas, I want to carry the analogies to far. It's helpful that I now am reading the sermon insert, I was just using it to see who the actors were and didn't realize what other helpful information I was missing, my bad! Still struggle with deciding if JC represents Christ or the Holy Spirit and is there significance in his change of wardrobe. But the overall meaning is clear and well done. I enjoy the series and was extremely impressed when I heard it was written by someone in our congregation. Great jobs done by all! Greg H.

    ReplyDelete