Friday, January 7, 2011

The First of First Things First

It feels ironic. 
My question as I sit in front of my computer screen is: “What is the first thing I should write about when blogging about first things first?”  Hm-m.

I’ve had a fair amount of ideas about the blog in general, some given to me by others: be yourself, be brief, be meaningful, be insightful, be funny, be relevant to younger audiences, don’t alienate older audiences... you get the concept.  It feels a little overwhelming.  One of my children looked at a draft of the blog site and said it looked predictably churchy.  Oh, well.  I guess that is a part of me, too.

I suppose a good place to start is to answer a question that both of you (my mom and whoever else is looking at this) are wondering.

Why write a blog?
Good question.  Not simply because everyone else is doing it (the statistics are crazy – something like 175,000 new blogs being created every day).  I’m writing this because it gives me an opportunity to share with you in a little more personal (or at least, different) way some of the things that are on my heart in relation to some important First Things First topics... and for another reason that feels equally important to me: it may give you an opportunity to have a voice, to respond, to express your own thoughts and opinions.  I guarantee you that I will read anything that you may write (whether or not I am able to respond back).

What is First Things First?
Another good question.  This is the name we have given to a church-wide spiritual growth emphasis at Rose Drive Friends Church during January and February.  The aim is to help all of us become more faithful followers of Jesus Christ and bring us back to the first principles that can help us to grow forward, both as individuals and as a congregation.  I hope this blog will contribute to that process. 

The “classic story” posted on the sidebar is a convicting reminder to me that I can’t get everything done. I have many things that cry out for my time and attention... many activities, concerns and diversions.  I can’t do it all (neither can you).  Jesus said, “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness.”(Matthew 6:33a, NIV)  What did He mean? 

He’s talking about Lordship. “First” has to do not simply with sequence but about priority and importance.  His “kingdom” is wherever He is King – and He wants to reign in your heart and mine.  When I was little I first heard someone say that Jesus not only wants to be resident (in you), He wants to be president. 

The topics over the next several weeks will focus on our five primary purposes or values... the “5 big rocks” that we need to make sure we put in first in our lives if we are going to be faithful followers of Jesus Christ: Worship, Connect, Grow, Serve and Share.
 
Please pray with me that God will use First Things First to encourage us where we need to be encouraged and stretch us where we need to be stretched. I’m praying that we will not be the same at the end of February as we are today!

8 comments:

  1. Praying for us all as we seek more of what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one big rock that I have the most trouble getting in is the Share rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been truly praying about what to write here through the day. I must say though, I believe that the foundational stone, is that of Repentance............and I do mean the, "Foundational Stone!" This IS Jesus Christ!! We can have all those other stones mentioned today in many different churches, but the stone of repentance acknowledges our sinfulness and selfish ways and the need for a Savior. It is then that we can truly come to a rightful, "Worship," and then on to, "Growth and Learning (Bible Study)," "Serving and Sharing," and all of these ROCKS are held in the jar of, "Connect/Community/Family" which should happen in a healthy church environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Thanks for the personal insight. I'm looking forward to the weeks that follow (here and in the weekend series).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure looked like a lot of new faces on campus yesterday! Enjoyed your message. Other books I would recommend on worship-Barry Liesch, The New Worship & People in the Presence of God. Worship His Majesty by Jack Hayford is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been really bad about setting aside a little bit of time to try to read scripture every day (I consider this to fall under the "worship" and "grow" categories). I do fine on the weekends and on Thursday nights (when my care group meets), but I always seem to get "too busy" to read and meditate daily on scripture.

    This is actually the only resolution I set for the new year.

    So, since I'm a techie who is always connected to one web gadget or another, I've been using these gadgets to help me stick to a daily reading plan. And so far, 10 days into the new year, it's worked.

    I'm using YouVersion, the free Bible social software reading program, to do a 365 day plan. Since I can access YouVersion on the web, via my RSS reader, on my smartphone, and on my iPad, I have no excuse. I simply find a few minutes, usually when I'm drinking my morning coffee, to read each day's scripture assignment. And, when so inspired, I can share -- via Facebook or Twitter -- particular verses that move me. I can also "tag" verses to build my own topical index of scripture verses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Wonder if I can ever get you to write for Fruit of the Vine. Looks like you may have a good outline here. I'll see what develops over the next few weeks. With a little revision, who knows. ;-)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to Pastor Jim and Jeannie, I think that you are on the right path of "First Things First" when you show support of your daughter
    receiving the character trait award for encouragement!! Congratulations Joy!

    ReplyDelete