Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tangled Puppet, Follower, or Poser? Getting the Big Rocks in First.

My favorite line after last weekend's worship service: "It's getting so you can't sleep in church anymore." 

That comment was made by an older attender at Rose Drive (with a smile and twinkle in his eye) as he left the Sanctuary.  I'm sure that at least a part of his reaction was in relation to the drama presentation. Check it out:


I also told the classic rock story (reprinted at right) and shared my own slightly different version of that illustration (with thanks to Stephen Covey for some inspiration).  "If you want to fit the big rocks into your life, you need to make sure to get them in first.  If you don't get the big rocks in first, you might not get them in at all!"  Take a look:




2 comments:

  1. The new RDF blog is terrific and I am so glad to see the inclusion of video in the content. But did you know that the video is not always activated on mobile connections like the iPod via WiFi, for instance? Some blog publishers work around that problem by using YouTube or another video FTP site to archive video content. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim!
    Just wanted to say that my family loved your "Rock" example, about making sure you put the big rocks in first. A couple years ago, I did the same thing with our kids when they were just 8 and 10 years old(using a much smaller jar and rocks!) Our theme verse was also Matt. 6:33.

    We just recently re-opened the jar to see what their rocks were. Here's what the girls had written down: Going to church, praying, reading my Bible, doing my devotions, doing my schoolwork, playing with my family and friends.

    Now that they're 11 and 13 years, I think I'm going to get a new bigger jar and rocks, and re-teach the lesson using the same key points as you. Should be fun!

    I would encourage other families to do the same! The kids love it! And it's a great devotional tool and visual reminder about what's really important in our lives, when our schedule gets busy.

    Thanks!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete