Saturday, April 9, 2011

More or Enough?


When is enough, enough?
There are lots of things in our world that cry out for more.  People want more of our time.  Advertisers want us to buy more of their products. Most people wish they had more money.
Several years ago, a study was conducted here in North Orange County, asking people how much money they thought they needed in order to be happy and content.  The results were less than startling.  No matter how much money a household made annually, the average reply was that they thought they needed to make just a little more.
There are times when we need to say, “ENOUGH!”  We often need to look commercials in the face and reply, “I’m content.”  Now, I don’t want to lie.  I like being able to buy things.  I like having the food I like to eat, the clothes I have to wear, and the house I have to live in… I like the stuff I have.  When so much of the world is in need, how much do I really need?  There are times when enough is enough.  But not always…
Sometimes we are in danger of applying “enough” when God is saying to us, “MORE!” 
There are times when we need to cultivate a holy discontent.  There are times when enough is clearly not enough.  Are there enough workers to go into the harvest field?  Are there enough churches to reach the lost and help people to grow in their faith? Are there enough people in the community where I live who are going to heaven when they die?  Do I really care?  Am I giving enough away to support missions?  Have I spent enough time doing what God wants me to do or serving where He wants me to serve?  Have I forgiven someone enough?  Ouch!
When is enough, enough?!
“Lord, thank you for knowing what we need and for your provision. You are our Sovereign Lord!  Please help us to see through our own selfishness to know when MORE is Your heart’s desire for us and when enough is not enough.  Help us to learn to be content when that is what we need, to know when enough is enough, and to learn to trust You… more!”

No comments:

Post a Comment